Hardware setup :
To work properly and avoid any sync issue, the playback engine buffer size must be set to 1024 samples, in both Protools an Spat Revolution.
- In Protools, go to Setup/Playback Engine, then set H/W Buffer Size to 1024 samples
- In Spat, go to Preferences/Hardware IO, then set :
- Device : None
- External Sampling Rate : Enabled
- Block Size: 1024
Please note that you may have to close/restart Spat to ensure that everyting is properly saved and applied.
Session setup and routing :
As a first step, please give a look to this article first :
It describes the good practices concerning routing in DAW to avoid sync issues with Spat Revolution.
- Setup a Protools session to work with Spat Revolution, using the Local Audio Path mode, is pretty simple. Just add Send and Return plugin and enable the 'Local Audio Path' option for each
Send and Return plugins instances are now showing up in Spat Revolution setup page
- Select all the objects, then clic on the 'connect selected' button
Now you should get the audio back to protools.
- Here is a basic Protools project with 8 audio 'send' tracks and 2 stereo 'return' track:
Please note the use of a 'Dummy' bus track, to make the audio tracks easier to setup. (just route your audio tracks to 'Dummy' bus using aux send) and insert a 'send' plugin with local audio path option enabled.)
This 'dummy' bus track has 2 aux send to route the signal to both the 'return' tracks.
Simply put an audio file in the send tracks and connect the input and outputs objects in Spat Revolution.
Protools specificities :
To use automations, you need to activate the parameters for each plugin instance first
You can save time and avoid doing this, by enabling this option in Protools. When inserting a plugin, all its parameters wil be available for automation.